Options

first brew added too much water what will happen?

did my first brew earlier which was a coopers lager kit but didnt take my reading until immediately after i added the yeast instead of before i put the yeast in and the OG was 1.09 and the instructions said it should be 1.04 so i checked my levels and i was about half a litre short of 23 litres so i thought id add half a litre to get the og down but like a fool added 1 litre by accident what affect will the extra half a litre have on my brew? i let it settle for ten minutes and took another reading now its 1.042 will it continue to drop and create a weak lager?

Comments

• Options
    davemortondavemorton Member Posts: 40
    The extra half a litre will not make much of a difference. Your og reading of 1.042 is what you would expect it to be at this stage. Your hydrometer readings will now continue to drop as fermentation begins and will stop dropping when the fermentation is complete. The readings show that the yeast is working and is turning the sugars into alcohol. You should expect a final reading in the region of 1.012 to 1.008 and most importantly before bottling make sure that the final reading is constant/same over a period of 24 hours. This will prove to you that fermentation is complete. Once this is the case and you are sure there are no small bubbles still rising through the brew you are ready to bottle! For the lager use two carbonation drops per 500ml bottle and ensure a good seal on the cap. Remember to keep an eye on your temperatures, you want to keep the brew between 20 and 26 degrees Celsius for the fermentation period and at room temperature for a week after you have bottled to ensure secondary fermentation is successful. After about a week at room temp in bottles move them somewhere cooler, garage or shed, to help them clear. Wait a couple of weeks then chill, serve and relax! Let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Do what davemorton said!
  • Options
    kirk2021kirk2021 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your help :-)