Options

Moving Fermentation Vessel

Newby. My first attempt. My fermentation vessel is on the floor and about to move it to a higher level to syphon. Question: How long should I leave the vessel to stand after moving to allow sediment to settle before syphoning into bottles or keg. Cheers..

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Welcome! As it approaches time to transfer your brew and you find you need the vessel higher up in order to easily syphon it over, it is best to let is stand after moving to help it settle again, but how long depends on how much it is disturbed during moving. The more sediment that is left behind at this stage will help give a clearer finished brew, it is usually best to leave it for at least 24 hours and see how it looks, or 48 if it hasn't settled again. If it gets very mixed up then leave it until it looks reasonably settled, an extra day or two wont harm it at this stage.

For your next batch, you then know how long before it is roughly ready for transferring to move it in to the higher position. In an ideal situation you would just brew at a higher level, but this is not always possible in peoples homes