Options

Hi guys

Hi im Ste and have just started brewing! I'm really enjoying it, i have my first home brew fermenting at the moment and i'm heading out to buy another keg to get another one going in a few days.  

So a bit about me....

I'm currently in Liverpool studying Outdoor education with environmental science and run my ow website and youtube channel on bushcraft, it's only been up and running a few months http://www.youtube.com/user/wilderlore

I have loads of questions, im trying to answer them by looking through the forum at the moment.
Ste

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Thanks for the introduction, it's good to hear you're enjoying home brewing, with your outdoor experience there may be plenty of brews you might consider making using naturally found ingredients, we'll take a look at your website! Any questions just ask, if kegging there is also the King Keg which is worth considering, they come with the CO2 injector pack as standard so price wise they actually compare quite well, available with a top or bottom tap;

http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/king-keg-top-tap-barrel-25-litre

• Options
    SteCareySteCarey Member Posts: 3
    I have a few ideas, i may use some birch sap at some point. 
  • Options
    SteCareySteCarey Member Posts: 3
    Also, how long should i leave it to primary ferment i'm using a Woodforde's Wherry kit, is it possible to leave it for to long? some people are saying two weeks, others are saying when i have a consistant hydrometer reading over the period of two days and the box says 4-6 days.

Ste
  • Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    Hi SteCarey, i would give it 6 days then give it a test with your hydrometer, then if its a consistent reading move on to the next stage. If not just give it a bit longer.

If your bottling it or barreling it, I wouldn't leave it longer then 7 days after a consistent reading. This is because if you leave it to long in your bin, to much of the suspended yeast will settle. This will result in not enough of the suspended yeast going over to your bottles/barrel whilst racking. Then there wont be much of a secondary fermentation in your bottles, resulting in little carbonation (flat beer :( )

But to be safe just rack it off a day or two after your consistent hydrometer reading and you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps.