Options

Finings

Some people have said that you don't need to use finings with the woodforde kits. How much longer will it take for the secondary fermentation if I do. Is it worth doing? look vs taste?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    finings will clear the beer more quickly, but Woodfordes don't supply them with the kits and they are not needed. Beause the beer needs to be left in bottles or a barrel for a few weeks to properly condition and the full flavours to develop, it is not really needed. Just make sure you leave it in the primary fermenting vessel for long enough and try not to disturb the sediment when transferring as reducing the amount of sediment that gets through to the bottles or barrel is the best way to ensure it is nice and clear
  • Options
    DiscoverrickDiscoverrick Member Posts: 3
    How long can or should the beer be left in the primary? Read the longer the better. Also I have to do the initial ferment in a small warm room upstairs. And if I want to bottle I don't want to do It in this room which would mean carrying downstairs and unsettling th lees. Can I rack to another vessel before moving to reduce sediment further like I did with the magnum cider? And can i then cold condition in this secondary in the pantry to reduce sediment further? Or should I just move the primary downstairs to the cooler room (16 degrees) and then transfer from there when ready. I realise that I increase risk of contamination by racking to another vessel.
  • Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    Hi Discoverrick

If your bottling it or barreling it, I wouldn't leave it longer then 7 days after a consistent reading. This is because if you leave it to long in your bin, to much of the suspended yeast will settle. This will result in not enough of the suspended yeast going over to your bottles/barrel whilst racking. Then there wont be much of a secondary fermentation in your bottles, resulting in little carbonation (flat beer 
     )

If it was me, when its ready, i would rack it off  into another fermenting vessel upstairs with your priming sugar aleady in it. Give it a mix and bottle up straight away. Its a easier way then adding sugar to each bottle.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    DiscoverrickDiscoverrick Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for advice. I will have a go at doing it that way.