Options

Pressure Barrel

I've just read your post on how the valve works on pressure barrels. I've had leaky valves for my first 2 brews, the second of which is still full. But I had to replace the valve, which mean't taking the cap off. The beer had been sitting in my garage for 2 months, but not building up pressure because of the faulty valve. Question: Will my beer still be drinkable, given it had been exposed to the open air, all be it, for about 20 seconds? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Short exposure should not cause a problem, we recommend either adding a little more priming sugar once re-sealed so the pressure builds up quickly an dkeeps the air out, or inject a CO2 cartridge in, this confirms the barrel is airtight and properly sealed, and also puts it under immediate pressure. The problem may be if the brew has been exposed to air whilst it was leaking, but the best thing to do is to get it sealed up asap, make sure it is airtight and under pressure, then leave it and try it once cleared to see how it is
  • Options
    RedlightningRedlightning Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for  your comments, and done as instructed. I'm guessing the faulty valve will have pressure escaping but no air getting in. The first brew I did in a barrel wouldn't hold pressure, and when I started drinking it after 3 months it was fine. I just had to keep injecting it with CO2!!! But fingers crossed, this brew will be ok. I have 6 on the go now, 2 in barrels & 4 in bottles. I must admit, I prefer barrels, as it has a "pub" texture. But then again, I havn't had any brews yet through the summer, when something a bit fizzier hits the spot!!
    Must say though, besides the initial outlay, I havn't spent a penny since November on Beer. Saving a fortune 
    :))
  • Options
    edited January 2013

That's good news the brew turned out well, but we do recommend you make sure that the barrels are airtight, it is important and needs solving, if for no other reason than to save you money on CO2 gas! Thankfully with bottles there is little to go wrong, and they can be chilled in the fridge if you want to, have a look ath this guide to possible issues with the barrels and see if it can be resolved;

http://homebrewonline.vanillaforums.com/discussion/209/barrel-problemsco2-injector-cap#latest

The massive saving on beer and lager is well worth home brewing for, and now that the quality can rival the shop bought stuff, often with better ingredients especially if using kits such as the 'Ultimate Brewery' range, it is the way forward!

• Options
    Funny you should mention bottles. I noticed a couple of weeks ago, that some of the brown Cooper bottles have no disc in the cap and some have. I bought 3 different orders off you, so is it just down to the batch?
    Another reason to get into home brew, is I read in the news there might be plans to tax the alcohol content, with a minimum percentage. As home brew has no alcohol to start with, they can't tax it.
  • Options
    The bottles are changing as you noticed, they no longer need to use the discs under the caps to make an airtight seal, the manufacturers have found a way to make them seal without so you can expect the discs to be phased out we think, as the new method is no doubt cheaper for them to manufacture. The new plans on taxation may well turn more people to home brewing which is a good thing, but as for not being able to tax it, if they try hard enough they will no doubt find a way, although we hope not!
  • Options
    Just a quick update on the beer in the faulty barrel. After 1 week, the pressure has held well, and the beer is fine. So being exposed to the air for a minute didn't affect it. Wonder if it's because it was in the garage at about zero degrees (less bugs etc!!)
    Going to have a look at the "Ultimate Brewery" now. Cheers
    =))
  • Options
    That's great news, we're pleased it's sorted. The Ultimate Brewery range is of excellent quality and the malt extracts come from a different source to other beer kits, definitley try them. They have added 2 new varieties to the range too, which gives more choice at the same great quality, and again they all require no enhancers or sugars adding to them, just a little to prime with