Options

Youngs Barley wine

Just got this kit, & it says to use 1kg of white sugar. I was gonna use dark malt extract or brew enhancer. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this beer & can offer any useful tips/advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

You will no doubt see improved results such as more body and flavour if instead of white sugar you use a brew enhancer or spraymalt. Spraymalt comes in various styles, so you could go for a medium or dark spraymalt if you wanted (although just note that the spraymalts often come in 500g not 1kg so you might need 2, a kg of brew enhancer is a direct replacement). If you wanted to opt for extract then you could use a tin of this in place of the sugar too.

Whichever you choose, it will add more flavour and should give a better result, brew enahncers are always preferred over ordinary or brewing sugar

• Options
    honghong Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. I decided to use brew enhancer. I was quite shocked at the price of spray malt, ( £4.50 at my local home brew shop )  so that would of been almost another £10.00 on the top of what i have already paid. I got a 1kg bag of brew enhancer for £4.50, so it was a no brainer.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Brew Enhancer is a good option, the results will be improved and we believe it is worth it instead of just sugar, please let us know how it turns out