Options

First timer

sparkysparky Member Posts: 1
I have recently purchased a home brew lager kit. I have had it in the fermenting barrel now for nearly a month. The temperature is at a steady 24*c. Can someone tell me when do I transfer to the bottles and for how long does the beer have to sit before it can be drank.

Comments

• Options
    sidavis21sidavis21 Member Posts: 10
    I would imagine it would be well done by now. Most brews I have done take up to about 10 days for the primary fermentation stage. You really should take a hydrometre reading to check it is at the level which should be detailed in the instructions in the kit and fermentation has stopped. You should take another 24 hours later to make sure they are the same and that nothing is still happening with the beer. Think theres quite a good thread on taking hydrometre readings.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Agreed, at a nice warm temperature such as 24 degrees C it will often only take a week or so, if like sidavis21 advises you use your hydrometer to check it's finished, then fill your bottles and prime each one with sugar (or a carbonation drop or 2) and then leave somewhere warm for a week, then move somewhere a few degrees cooler. Leave it bottled as long as possible for the flavours to improve, this is when it will also clear and carbonate. It's usually at least a couple of weeks in the bottles, we recommend leaving for as many weeks as you can so you drink it at it's best