Options

All Grain, But How Much?

KiltedKilted Member Posts: 3
Just taken the jump from extract brewing up to all grain brewing and am preparing my first batch.
I believe I have all the right equipment ready, but am not sure on the quantities of Grain, Hops, Water I should use to yield a proper amount of beer.
I was thinking about these Quantities:

3 Kg  Belgian Pale Malt
0.5Kg British Caramalt
0.5Kg 20 Crystal Malt

Hops
Challenger  15g  for 60 mins
Cascade     25g  for 30 mins
Fuggles      25g  for 15 mins

Is this enough grain / hops and if so how do I work out my water quantities?
I was also thinking about adding flaked oats into the lautering process but is this silly in this type of beer? as I have only seen oats as an adjunct in stouts.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    With all grain brewing the options are endless, but especially for you first foray into it we recommend finding a tried and tested recipe or guide, using the hop styles which suit your particular preference, and following the guide as this will result in a brew with a good taste. There is a lot of time and effort goes in to the mashing and brewing, so it is important that it turns out well and is worth all your time and effort, so we would suggest looking for a guide on the web with your choice of hops as close as you can find to your preferred ingredients, and exprimenting from there to modify future batches to your ideal taste. You could of course use different malts to any guide, and just copy the quantities