Options

Coopers mild malt extract

I'm ready to brew a coopers mexican cerveza lager kit. I have a packet of coopers mild malt and on the packet says to use this instead of sugar. Is that right or  should i still use my coopers enhancer also? 

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

As a general rule, whatever the instructions say to add in sugar, you are best to use the same amount of enhancer instead of the sugar, ths is because it gives much better results. For example, a Coopers Cerveza can be made with 1kg of sugar, but it is best not to use the sugar and to instead use 1kg of enhancer, Coopers themselves recommend using 1kg of their own Enhancer 2, although any brew enhancer will improve the results. If you added sugar and enhancer or spraymalt, etc, then this is additional sugars which would then also ferment and increase the alcohol content, and may also affect the taste. It is common for people to make a brew such as Coopers with 1kg of sugar, and then add 1/2 kg of Spraymalt as they want the extra strength and to alter the taste to their own preference a little, as the spraymalts come in various options, such as 'hopped light' etc.