Options

Strawberry wine

mozzamozza Member Posts: 41
So I've been given some wine making equipment (basic stuff) for Christmas and I've just started fermenting my batch of strawberry wine from wilkinsons. I've gone cheap and cheerful incase I ruin it! My question is, in the kit it says that I can use a second demijohn for racking. At what stage should the wine be transferred? Also does anyone know roughly what the hydrometer readings should be for this kit or hazard a guess? Any help would be appreciated! Cheers, Sam

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We're not sure with Wilkinsons range what they recommend, they should send instructions with the ingredients kits, but if in doubt just make sure that the hydrometer readings are constant and have stopped moving, as you don't want to bottle before it's finished fermenting
  • Options
    Hello again, the wine has been left to clear for at least ten days in a second demijohn but its still very cloudy. I'm guessing I should be able to see through it somewhat? Should I add more clearing agent or leave it longer?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

clearing times will vary, and can depend on the temperature too. It is probably best to leave it somewhere undisturbed and allow it to clear in it's own time if all the finings and sachets have already been addedas the manufacturers instructions. It can also be down to the quality of ingredients too, we recommend something like this for good results;

http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/strawberry-6-bottle-wine-kit

• Options
    GerryGerry Member Posts: 10
    Hi Mozza,
                   This may absolve your wine clearing problem. Take one hundred mls. of your wine. one hundred mls of boiled water.(Use Warm) Mix together. Put one tablespoonful of Bentonite into a ( I use a mug) .container Mix all together.  Use a tea spoon to get it all to a paste. It takes a lot of time. Then when it is a thin paste put it in a sterilized 300mil. bottle Shake vigorously until it is all liquid. Leave for 24 hours. Then pour it into the demijohn over the wine ( I use a plastic funnel to distribute the Bentonite mix into the wine.) By next day the wine is usually clear. I hope this helps.             

• Options
    Will have to remember that one! Thanks for the tip Gerry!