Options

Brews taste yeasty

CypherCypher Member Posts: 4
Hi
I'm having trouble with my brews, I find they are all tasting a bit yeasty whether they are expensive beer kits like Milestone or the cheaper ones like Coopers. If I use a cheaper kit I use a premium yeast & not the one included with the kit. Any suggestions as to how I can solve this. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited December 2012

A 'Yeasty' flavour to your brews might suggest that some sediment has been disturbed and is flavouring the brews, to help ensure this is not affecting the flavour it is best to make sure that when you syphon your beer into the barrel or bottles (it would be interesting to know which you use as bottles would disturb any sediment more than dispensing from a barrel would) that as much sediment is left behind as possible and it is not disturbed. Using an upgrade yeast like you do, we recommend Danstar, can help to produce a very well compacted sediment which is much harder to disturb as it clings together. You could try using finings to see if this helps, for the last couple of days in the primary fermenting vessel add finings and leave to settle, this will help to clear the brew. If pouring from a bottle to a glass, do it in one smooth and slow action, ensuring to leave the last bit behind in the bottle, 1/2 inch or so is usually fine.

Store your brew away from direct sunlight, ideally in the dark as this can cause off-flavours, and once primary fermentation has completed try not to leave the brew for too long in there before bottling or barreling as the dead yeast could potentially produce off-flavours too.