Options

bottle cleaning

Hi did my first brew the other week, but now worried that I have done the bottling wrong.

I cleaned them with the VWP but just left them on the rack to dry but did not rinse them, will i have killed this brew.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

VWP recommend on their instructions to rinse thoroughly with clean water, and we cannot contradict the manufacturers instructions, especially when it comes to cleaning chemicals. As the bottles were allowed to dry there will be little residue left we would imagine, so it is up to you to decide what is best here, you could continue with the brew and see if it secondary ferments in the bottles when you primed them with sugar, the yeast left in the brew may still work, we're not sure to be honest. We've not heard of this before, but it's highly unlikely you are the first not to rinse them out, it's possible people do this regularly

• Options
    frazzles3350frazzles3350 Member Posts: 3

just opened a bottle to have a sniff and see, I bottled it on the 02.12.12 and just poured into a glass to see.

it is really clear and quite fizzy quite surprised actually,for my very first brew,had a taste considering how young this is, it tastes really well.

have just emailed VWP to ask.

• Options
    That's a good sign, if it is clear and carbonated then it would suggest it has secondary fermented, and the taste speaks for itself! Let us know what VWP say if you don't mind please, as we can let others know next time, but it sounds like it may be OK
  • Options
    frazzles3350frazzles3350 Member Posts: 3

Hi

Had a quick reply from VWP and everything is fine nothing to worry about.

the active ingredient will use it self up in the process and any residue would be depleted by air.

But will make sure I rinse next time to be on the better side now.

I am a happy person now for my first brew.

Also can you tell me is a Canadian Blonde a lager or a light ale type not to sure.

Cheers.

• Options

Thanks for the update, that's great news, and it sounds like your brew should be fine, but as you say probably best to rinse in future. Depending on your budget, we highly recommend the Ultimate Brewery Classics range, they are some of the best ingredients available, and being 3kg kits they do not need any sugar adding. We've tasted and also tried them and they are great. There are both beers and lagers to choose from, one is here but check out the full range and see if any take your fancy;

http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/brewery-classics-german-pilsner-kit

In the smaller kits, perhaps take a look at the Better Brew range, for best results use enhancer rather than sugar though