Options

Can I save it??

acecaz123acecaz123 Member Posts: 17

I bottled up my brew buddy larger on Saturday, I had little helpers and sadly, 10 bottles didn't get tightened properly and were not airtight. I have just found out whilst moving to a cool room. Can those bottles be saved or will they be ruined?? I did open 1 and pour it out, it got a slight head so I am hopeful that its not all bad news! I have now tightened them and moved them to a cool place, can I do anything else to help?

Thanks. x

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited December 2012
    Ideally once primed with sugar bottles should be sealed as this allows the carbonation and pressure to build up, however if they weren't properly sealed and it was only recently, then the best thing you can do is to seal them up properly like you have, and then leave it to secondary ferment. The secondary fermentation takes a while, so the lager will still be producing plenty of CO2 as it secondary ferments, and will pressurise and carbonate the bottles. Had it been longer it might have been worth re-priming with sugar, but as it was recently this is probably not necesary. It is unlikely the lager will be ruined, worst case it may not be as fizzy as you might like, but there is a good chance it will be fine