Options

Can I stir it up??

acecaz123acecaz123 Member Posts: 17

Hi,

I have a brew buddy larger that has been fermenting for a week. Its never got very crusty on top - just a light froth, and doesnt seem to be doing much. The reading is 1.016 and hasnt moved for a few days. Shall I stir it to try and get the yeast working a bit more or is it likely to be finished? My last lot took longer (It was in a cooler room) but it did crust ontop so I knew it was doing something. This time, its in a room where temp is around 18-20 and I have it wrapped in a blanket but still concerned as to how its progressing?

Thanks for your advice. :-)

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

BrewBuddy kits don't give a specific hydrometer reading, but just make sure that both the hydrometer reading stays the same for 3 days in a row, and that all small bubbles have stopped rising to the surface of the liquid. If brewing at the lower end of the temperature scale then it will take longer as you have found, and the amount of activity and froth you will see can vary a lot, again this can be affected by several things but temperature is a main factor.

Once the readings are constant, it will then be fine to bottle, if you were to give it a stir it will mix all the sediment back up and you will then need to leave it to settle again so you're finished bottles don't have loads of sediment in them

• Options
    Thank you. I think my last one never got much lower than 016. I think I will leave it to the weekend and then bottle as it gives me a chance to monitor the reading a bit more. There are no bubbles coming up any more, but it will be safe to leave another couple of days just to be safe, I am sure?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited December 2012

That's a good idea, especially if bottling as you will then be sure it has no excess gas which will create pressure in the bottles. If you then prime each bottle with a good teaspoon of sugar (if using 500ml bottles) and then leave somewhere at a warm room temperature for a few days, then move to a room somewhere a few degrees cooler it will then clear and carbonate

• Options
    I am in similar position with a cider I am brewing too, so will watch them both, they will have had 12 days by then so should both be 'cooked' nicely. Thanks for advice.