Options

over frothy lager

Hi all ive made quite a few batches now and all have been great with a good head but the one im on now froths to excess ( pour a small amount into a tall pint glass and it heads for the top at record speed i have 30mm of beer and 150mm of froth ) what have i done wrong thanks rich

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited November 2012
    It may be that this batch has been primed with more sugar, or was possibly bottled/kegged before the fermentation had completely finished so has excess pressure in it. If the lager is in a bottle then chilling it sometimes helps, or if in a keg then it is sometimes the case that the first few pints are very lively, but this will settle down. It can sometimes help if the glass is already wet, try rinsing in water first before filling. Often developing a technique for pouring gets over the worst of the frothing problem, but as you say, it doesn't affect all batches, just some, and some brews are worse than others for doing it
  • Options
    richrich Member Posts: 3
    Hi thanks for the reply i think your right with the bottling early before fermentation was complete as i did not maintain correct tempreture (keep warm enough) and bottled it in the normal time span
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    THat would cause extra gas and therefore froth, if it is a bit on the cool side the fermentation time will be increased, leaving it a bit longer until all the bubbles have stopped is recommended