Options

Fermentation

2budbuck2budbuck Member Posts: 3
Hi, some advice please. I have a Finlandia cider brew on the go, it has been bubbling away for 3 weeks now and i still consider bubbles are rising and fermentation i do not think has finished. It has been at a fairly constant temperature of 22 degrees. The latest hydrometer reading is 1005. Is this normal and can any harm bee done by leaving it longer?     

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited November 2012
    That is quite a while, but it does happen, you just need to check the readings and once they stop changing, which they no doubt will do soon as 1005 is getting nice and low, and all small bubbles have stopped rising up through through the liquid (you may need to clear any froth off the top in one area so you can see properly) then it is done. The problem of a brew being in the fermenting vessel for a long time is that it sits on the dead yeast which could potentially create off flavours, however it is important to allow the fermentation to complete, and we have left many brews for quite a while in there with no such problems, 3 weeks will certainly not do your brew any harm so don't worry about that