Options

I've stirred in the yeast

First attempt, I've stirred in the yeast when mixing the first fermentation. Now I've seen on the video, it should be just sprinkled on top. Yikes. Have I wrecked my first batch.
I know I should have watched the video before starting, but on the instructions, it doesn't say to just sprinkle it on top.
I seem to remember, (as a child helping my Dad) that it was all stirred in.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    No problem, some people stir it in, some sprinkle on top and leave, the most important thing is that the yeast comes into contact with the liquid and not just froth on the top. It is best to add the yeast as quickly possible so it gets fermenting quickly, so adding it and giving it a stir is sure to get it fermenting, just try and ensure it is at the right temperature range as this will help fermentation
  • Options
    grant040464grant040464 Member Posts: 7
    Hi HBO Staff, fermentation started great, after 2 days, nothing, it had gone very cold though, so, ordered a heat tray which came quick but was delivered to a neighbour who went away.
    My Wherrys sat stagnating for about 11 days, placed on tray, it re-ignited and then eventually finished. Its been in the barrel for about 2 weeks and whilst still slightly cloudy, tastes really, really good.
    Just one slight problem, the barrel is in my garage and when I went to pour and taste a drop earlier, I wiped the tap and poured. I thought with my first sip, that I felt something touch my top lip, I looked in my glass and due to the frothy head, saw nothing.
    I then took a swig and felt something in my mouth of dubious taste and texture, so dubious that I spat it out on the garage floor. It was a slug, not too big, but still a slug, must have crawled up the tap hole, attracted by the beer.............so HBO Staff, you need to supply a cap to go over the beer tap on your barrels. I will buy two, they will probably be your best seller. Best regards, Grant
  • Options

In colder temperatures fermentation times can significantly increase, but by warming it up you got it to finish the fermentation and this will not cause your brew any problems. It will clear if left longer and will also improve in flavour usually. The slug incident sounds quite unpleasant, we haven't heard of that before but it may well have been attracted to the beer if some was in the tap. We're not aware of any such thing as a tap cover that is available specifically for this, but it would definitely be worth covering the tap with a plastic bag or something similar to ensure no repeats of that

• Options
    Unpleasant, yes, my work colleagues and better half haven't laughed as much before. It's well covered with insulation tape now and tomorrow, (day off) there will be a cap found to cover the tap. If I find a generic tap that fits perfectly, I'll let you know where its from. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    If there is something suitable do please let us know, thanks for that
  • Options
    Hi All, I've now tried every cap in the house to cover the beer tap, the closest was a cap from a tube of lip-salve, worked for 2/3 days, then split.
    On a positive side here, My Wherry Bitter turned out far, far better than I even hoped for. Every bit as good as you can get in a Pub. I've now just got a batch of Coopers Irish Stout finishing its first fermentation, so we'll see what thats's like. The Wherry Bitter was so good, I'm going to do another batch as soon as Coopers is done, unless you have any suggestions??
    I did a 6 bottle batch of Youngs Sauvignon Blanc wine which my wife likes but feels it's just a little on the sweet side. She's still drinking it though. 
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Thanks for the update, try just wrapping a bag over the whole tap which will keep anything out. The Wherry sounds to have come out well which is great news, Woodfordes is very popular. We recommend the 'Ultimate Brewery' range as it has some of the finest ingredients you can get, or try the York Brewery kits if either of those is to your liking. Both of these ranges need no sugar adding so are similar to Wherry in that respect.

Wine can sometimes be sweet if bottled a little early, another couple of days can help it before bottling, or it may be that particular brand, the Beaverdale range is great and needs no sugar adding to it making it a good price, the range of styles is much larger too in both the 6 and 30 bottle kits.

If you feel like leaving a review for the Wherry it would be gratefully received, either on the product page on the website or under 'Beer Reviews' on the right hand side on this forum