Options

Fermentation always takes a long time, why?

I have been brewing at home for about a year now, and seem to always have issues with fermenting.

Initially i made the mistake of brewing the mixture too hot. I had a heat belt, but no thermometer on the fermenter, so was unable to see the temperature the mix was at. Once i had invested in a stick on thermometer for the fermenter, i then noticed that the temp whilst using the belt was way too high, so now have stopped using it.

Problem is, things are still not going as they should. I am now 13 days into a new batch of better brew (midland mild ale), and it is still fermenting. The temp gauge is advising the temperature is always between 20 and 24 degrees, which should be perfect. Just done a hydro reading, and it was a 1.016, which would seem too high to bottle, and the brew is still bubbling, although not massively. I know its not an exact science, but most kits advise fermentation should be completed after 10-14 days, but mine never seems to be. My previous batches have been the same.

I am not adding more sugar or yeast (i only use kits, so the only error could be in the sugar, and I always use spray malt, so measurements are usually precise) and I always sterilize things after use, and before being used again.

The only thing I can think of now is my thermometer is inaccurate! 

Any ideas/help?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Fermentation times can vary, one of the biggest reasons is as you mention, the temperature. You will find that manufacturers timescales will often be based on ideal conditions, and it is not uncommon to take a few days or so more, but this does help to be sure the fermentation is complete. The small bubbles still rising and the slightly high hydro reading do both indicate that it needs a little longer but is almost there. Try and brew away from direct sunlight, and away from any draughts, which can affect the temperature. Away from doorways, etc, and ideally somewhere out of the way, this well help, and towards the higher end of the temperature scale recommended is usually the fastest fermenting. With the yeast, give it a gentle stir to help get it working straight away. Whilst it is a pain it may take a bit longer, as long as the end result is good keep doing what you're doing!
  • Options
    dr_krippendr_krippen Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. The batch did not ferment any more after the first hydro reading, so i bottled it yesterday. No explosions to report of yet, so maybe i'll be ok!

Only time will tell if it tastes ok, but managed to taste a bit in the siphoning process, and it tasted fine, so maybe all will be well.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Sometimes you will find a brew will not go any lower for whatever reason, so it just has to be bottled or barrelled, but keep it somewhere out of the way just in case too much pressure builds up later. The taste however should be unaffected, it needs to be left in the bottles to clear and carbonate in the usual way, and no doubt the flavours will improve with time a usual. As long as it had no bad smell etc, then there is no reason to think this batch will not turn out great