Options

Carbonation of cider

alexalex Member Posts: 15
Hi everyone. It's been a long while since I was on the forum to post. Basically last year my cider didn't quite work out. I'm not sure why but you live and learn! This year things are looking much better!!

My apple and blackberry cider has been in secondary for about 3 weeks now and come Saturday (a month in) I think I'll be ready to bottle looking at how much fermentation has slowed. My question is however what is the best way to carbonate? Although last years wasn't drinkable I carbonated with sugar and it had a real fizz to it!

My goal is a nice clear cider with a little sparkle but as little sediment as possible. Would sugar be my best bet? I'm aiming for the 'kopperburg mixed berry' type drink.

Any advice would be great. I'm determined this year will be a success.

Thank you.
Alex

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited November 2012

Hi Alex, it's always a pain when a brew goes wrong, it does sometimes happen even though you think you did everything right, and can be just one of those things unfortunately, but it's best to do as you have and have another go, thankfully most brews result in success as we're confident this one will for you based on your progress with this batch so far. The biggest cause of failed brews is contamination, it can be from something not thoroughly cleaned, or even airborne, so all you can do is your best.

Once the fermentation has stopped, all signs of activity are over and there are no more small bubbles rising to the surface of the liquid, and ideally hydrometer readings are used to make sure the gravity reading remains constant for a few days, it will be ready to bottle. To really help reduce sediment, it can be useful to transfer to a second sterilised vessel leaving as much sediment behind as possible, then allow it to settle again for a couple of days. Then carefully fill your bottles from here, which means you have in effect let the sediment settle out twice which results in less sediment in the finished bottles. You can prime your bottles with any sugar, or use brewing sugar or carbonation drops. Ordinary granulated white sugar is what most people have to hand, so depending on the bottle size and how fizzy you want it, add some to each bottle and seal them up. Leave them somewhere at a nice warm temperature for a few days to get the secondary fermentation going, then move somewhere a few degrees cooler to condition and help the cider clear. This is when it will carbonate and develop it's full flavours, usually the longer you leave it in the bottles the better the taste will be, so leave for as many weeks as possible.

And of course, let us know how you get on....

• Options
    Thank you for that great response as ever HBO! I certainly will let you know. I have my secondary fermentation happening in a second demijohn. When I come to bottle and use sugar will I get much in the way of sediment do you know? I want the fizz but I also want the bottles to be as clear of sediment as possible.

Many thanks.
    Alex
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

It is quite common for people to ferment in a vessel, then syphon over into the finished bottles where they are primed and the secondary fermentation takes place in the finished sealed bottles, which also carbonates the cider. Once the cider is ready for transferring into bottles, this is when you need to leave as much sediment behind as possible, and if needed you could add finings to the demijohn and then leave for a couple of days to settle and help with clearing. The more sediment you leave behind now, the better the end result in the bottles. Try to syphon from the top of the liquid as it goes down, keep the tube below the surface of the liquid though, so as to minimise the risk of disturbing the sediment at the bottom of the demijohn. Prime each bottle with some sugar, depending on the size and fizz required, maybe a teaspoon per 500ml bottle as a guide, then seal them up with the lids and leave at room temperature for a few days to get the secondary fermentation going in the bottles, this is when it will carbonate and begin to clear. Move it somewhere cooler and leave in the bottles for a few weeks to improve. If using PET plastic bottles you will feel them go hard as the carbonation creates pressure which is a good sign they are getting there. The cider will clear, it can vary how long it takes, and when you open them try to pour in one smooth action to minimise disturbance to any sediment that has settled in the bottles.

By transferring to a second vessel after primary fermentation, leaving the sediment behind, then allow it to settle again, and fill your bottles from there, is a very good way of reducing sediment to a minimum in the finished bottles, once perfected your bottles have next to none in them, although it can increase conditioning times in the bottles as there is less yeast gets through to get secondary fermentation and carbonating going.

• Options
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a go. I'm using brown glass bottles I got from you last year. I'll be intouch with how I get on!

Really appreciate the guidance!

Alex