Options

Using the hydrometer.

GerryGerry Member Posts: 10
When I brew my wine, I place all the ingredients except the yeast in a food grade pail. I follow the instructions. then I take the specific gravity reading. Then I add the yeast and again follow the instructions. Then I strain the wort into a stainless steel container then transfer it to a demijohn. I use a plug in the top with a air lock. I want to know when I take the next specific gravity reading . I have always been waiting for it to drop to zero . Any help would be welcome.  Thank you. Gerry. 

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Hi Gerry, the hydrometer is a good way to follow the progress of the wine and if wanted, to work out the alcohol content. Some wine kits give hydrometer readings which you should aim for, for example a recommended reading before bottling to help ensure the wine has completed fermentation. The hydrometer reading wont drop as low as zero, so you either need to wait until it reaches the suggested reading on the instructions, or until the reading is constant for at least two days in a row, as this is a good sign the wine has stopped fermenting. The temperature you brew at will affect the speed of the fermentation, if it is cooler it will ferment slowly, and at warmer temperatures fermentation times will usually be much quicker. The hydrometer is best used next to check when the fermentation is complete, and by using your first and final reading, the alcohol content can be worked out, just enter the readings into this useful alcohol calculator;

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

• Options
    GerryGerry Member Posts: 10
    To H B O staff,
                         Thank you for your answer. I posses two wine making books they are both for making fruit wine they instruct me to get the specific gravity before I add the yeast but omit when I have to take the final reading.  The books give me all the recipes for making different wines We get different fruit here so I take a gamble and experiment and they usually come out drinkable.  I live in Thailand and the temperature is rarely below 30deg. The wine is much faster in working as you can imagine.
                         When I make my beer I have to make it in the spare bedroom with the air conditioning operating as the heat would kill the yeast.  I used to use the powered corn syrup in Australia but can only purchase liquid corn syrup in Thailand. I made a batch of beer 1/8/012. I have not sampled it yet. I will try it on the 1/12/012. Thank you for a good web site. Gerry.. 
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The final reading is the lowest one the hydrometer goes to after the fermentation is complete, so when you check that the fermentation is over in the first vessel, and a hydrometer can be used to make sure the reading is not getting any lower, it is this lowest reading that you can use. What you need is a reading from before it's fermented, and a reading from when it's completed fermenting. Temperature can be a problem as you say, all you can do is keep the temperature as low as possible in those circumstances. We hope your brew turns out well, it will have had a good few weeks in the bottles to condition so should be good!