Options

Sanex??

Mal1841Mal1841 Member Posts: 30
I've been looking at a lot of videos on youtube of different folk brewing beer just to see it all in action and maybe pick up some visual tips.  One thing I keep seeing is a lot of people use this stuff called sanex to sterilize their equipment and utensils.  They say you dont need to rinse it which to me sounds great as I can make a big tub up and just drop my brewers paddle, hydrometer testing jar and thermometer into it and pick it up, use it and plonk it back in when I'm done without having to find a sterile place to put it while I'm prepping ect.
Only thing is when I google sanex all I see is spray bottles and big tubs of sanex odor and urine eliminator!.  Now I'm sure thats not the stuff their using is it? lol.  Maybe for after I've drunk the brew I've made but not during!
Question is what is this stuff and is there a rinse free sanitizer you recommend for brewing purposes ?. 

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    You can get no-rinse sterilisers for use in brewing, although we currently have VWP which does need rinsing in clean water. A stronger steriliser such as VWP gets the equipment really clean and is ideal for soaking equipment in when needed. There is one we know called Chemopro Oxi, which may be OK, although it does state for light cleaning, so be sure all your brewing gear is sterilised as this is very important
  • Options
    Mal1841Mal1841 Member Posts: 30
      I guess I could soak it in VWP first then rinse then chuck in a try of Chemipro oxi for when I'm brewing.  Its the finding a place to put everything once its sterilised and rinsed.  I find it hard in my kitchen as I have a 4 month old baby and last saturday when mixing up some Doner and Blitzed for xmas and new year I went to the sink (which I'd sanitized earlier) and draining board to put my newly sanitized thermometer, paddle ect and found my wife had put some crappy baby grows in there to pre soak before a wash!.  Outrageous!!!.

And she wonders why I need 5 gallons of ale on tap! :o)

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    If possible could you sterilise everything an dthen dry it and store it in your fermenting vessel with the lid sealed to keep it all clean? It would have to be all dry though before sealing it up. And babies coming before beer? We've not heard of that before....