Options

degassing

bubba10bubba10 Member Posts: 2
hi i bought a wine buddy kit for a party we was having made it no probs after bottling about 10 bottles i had a misshap and desturbed the rest in fermenting bin so i just put lid on and left to settle again when i opened a bottle of the 10 that i bottled i found it to be very sweet still and very fizzy but when i tryed the wine left in the fermenting bin it wasnt as sweet and very much less fizzy i did do the steps in degasing but somthing not quite right any help for futher use would be good thanks bubs

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    If the wine is fizzy it would suggest that the wine was not yet ready for bottling and hadn't finished fermenting, meaning that it would be fizzy in the bottles. If you want to produce fizzy wine then it is often bottled just before fermentation is complete to create some fizz. By leaving it in the fermenting vessel it would have allowed the wine to continue it's fermentation, so the extra time in the fermenting vessel would have allowed it to ferment further. Ideally use a hydrometer to monitor the progress of the wine and ensure the reading gets as low as possible and then remains constant, this is the best way to check on the progress of the wine. It is important not to bottle too early as excess pressure is bad in bottles as it has nowhere to escape, and wine bottles are not capable of withstanding pressure liek beer and cider bottles can