Options

Coopers Pale Ale

Hi guys. I'm relatively new to this, but have got carried away. If my fermentation bin is empty, it's not earning it's keep. I've 3 brews on the go, and a Coopers Pale Ale in the bin now, but the instructions don't tell you about putting the brew into a barrel. Only bottles. As most of you know (and I'm learning), bottles take longer to clean properly than a single barrel. Question is: Is it ok to put this,( and all other ales, with the acception of Lager) Pale Ale into a barrel. If ok, how much priming sugar should I add.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We like your philosophy on the empty fermenting bin! Coopers don't mention the option to barrel, but this is probably because the Australians like all their beers/lagers chilled, and it's hard to chill a barrel. You can store any beer or lager (or cider) in a barrel, just bear in mind you can't chill it very easily. As a guide you add around 100 grammes of sugar to a barrel to prime it, a bit more if you want it quite carbonated
  • Options
    RedlightningRedlightning Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for that. I don't like warm beer either. But now the winter's coming, I've a cold garage. I'll use the bottles in the summer. Cheers
  • Options
    marvindjmarvindj Member Posts: 3
    Cold garage or outside is perfect, except at the moment where it is unusually mild in UK. This is why i bottle as i can keep the fridge stocked, my bottles sit on a shelf in the house and go in the fridge as needed. I'd need a second fridge, to keep a keg in, as well as the extra space.