Options

magnum wine in 7 days

Hi, Hello.

Its me again in my quest for experimentation I have a magnum wine kit ,usual fermentation of 7-10 days , ready in 14 , but I have in my possession a 7 day, yeast & nutrient pack, can I use it with this concentrate , or is it specifically designed for longer fermentation with the yeast provided with the kit ?

I would also like to know.  Vin Classe Super wine yeast . Why is it super ? is it a 7 day yeast , or is it just a high alcohol yeast ? As always I await your wisdom .Your advice is always informative & educational, You two should write a book on most asked questions. I look forward to your reply .

Cheers Russ.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2012

You like to test us don't you?! Well the Magnum wine kit is best made with the yeast supplied, the manufacturers supply what they feel is right, and as it is included it is best to use it. Using the other yeast and nutrient would gain very little, if it's speed you're thinking of then just keep the wine at the recommended temperature for the fermentation as this will help. We're not familiar with the other product, but it sounds like Super wine yeast compound, which if it is like the one we have is a yeast and nutrient all in one, it is designed for use in high alcohol fermentation and is intended to aid a speedy fermentation and help with clearing. Is it super? we'll let you be the judge of that....

PS. the most asked question? well perhaps not the most asked, but the most popular topic is probably 'how to use a hydrometer'

• Options
    Russ2109Russ2109 Member Posts: 9

Once again I thank you for your help the yeast & nutrient I have is from a Solomon Grundy 7 day wine kit, but maybe I will experiment on something else , a cider maybe, I can understand the questions about hydrometers, although I think I have it sussed.  I am still worried about getting it wrong & messing things up, so I am sad to say I only use it for the final gravity reading & I only do this once all activity has stopped through the airlock might have to change that though as I have a cider on the go & after reading some of your comments on cider making to your other customers in your forum It's about time I overcome my apprehension on using hydrometers & just get on with it . So thanks again .

Cheers Russ

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

You can experiment with your yeast and nutrient, it probably wont do any harm. The hydrometer thing is worrying to many, but it really comes down to taking two readings of the numbers, the first one at the start, and then check it until it gets as low as it will go and then record that number too. We have changed hydrometers so now we supply the ones with just numbers on, no coloured lines or confusing words which only made things complicated for people. With these two numbers you can then work out the approximate alcohol content, the easiest way is to enter them into the calculator on this link;

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

It's just nice to know what the strength is sometimes. Also the reading at the end is useful, as once it stays the same for two days in arow you know it is about finished and ready for bottling/kegging. Some of the cider kits are very popular, and there are repeat sales on pretty much all of them, so you can't go too wrong with them, and flavoured ones such as 'on the rocks' are proving popular too