Options

If I add a tin of malt extract do I still need to add sugar?

CypherCypher Member Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in Beer Brewing
Hi, I've just started brewing & I've bought a tin of wheat malt extract to add to some brewferm triple beer. The problem is it does not say if you add this to your brew as well as sugar or instead of. Please could someone tell me which it is.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2012
    If using a tin of malt extract you could add this to a Brewferm beer instead of sugar, as the sugars in the malt extract will be used in place of the sugar you would have added. It may be a little harder to work out what the alcohol content would be, but if you add the whole 1.5kg tin and then check the hydrometer readings, you will be able to work it out with your starting and final gravity readings in the alcohol content calculation. The malt extract will add more flavour and no doubt improve the brew
  • Options
  • Options
    Just bear in mind with the Brewferm range that they are often made to smaller batch quantities, so if making only a smaller volume it may be worth adding less than a whole tin, as the flavour and strength will increase, it's a case of experimenting, perhaps add half of it as a trial, depending on how much sugar you would have added. If you would have put a kg in then the whole tin would be fine, or if you add the whole tin then you may want to add a bit more water and make an extra couple of litres
  • Options
    Ok thanks, I think I'll go with adding a full tin & more water to make more beer lol :-bd
  • Options
    It can be trial and error, but worst case you'll just end up with a stong brew, if using your hydrometer it will help you know what's going on, and if needed you could dilute it down