Options

Comparing the (meerkat?) first 2 tries

paulomillerzpaulomillerz Member Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in General Home Brew Chat
Hi everyone, I'm really new to this, I've now done 2 batches of the Coopers lager (The green label) and wanted some advice.

The first batch I brewed quite high temp and quickly and it came it with quite a sour taste. I bottled it after about 4 days because I think I got the readings wrong and obviously impatient lol I got quite a good head on it but the taste was quite strong so I wondered if I probably bottled it too early. Is it normal for a little bit of sediment to be in the bottom of the bottle? I also found a bottle some months later which was a lot less sour. Do you think I was just too keen to taste it and bottled it too soon, then didn't let it sit long enough before drinking it? I love my new hobby as its such a learning curve.

Now with my second attempt I thought I'd go for the same one and get it right before I move on to another. This time I brewed it at a lower temp, usually between 22-24 deg. I know I got the readings right this time as it stayed on the same for a good 36-48 hrs, when I did 3 readings and they all were the same. I have to also disclose an accident after the first day. I'd stupidly put the vessel on a plastic box which I hadn't balanced quite right, so overnight it had managed to tip and lose a small amount (from about 23 ltr to 20-21 ltr from the top). The lid was still over the top although a little open on the one edge. Not wanting to throw it so early I carried on with it nonetheless. The outcome of this one is 2 issues. It is quite flat, even though I put 1 drop in each bottle. It also doesn't taste what I would consider "Nice". Could the flavour improve with time as indicated or could this actually be I lost some of the flavouring and / or yeast when the accident happened hence losing the taste? 

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2012

The first brew if brewed at a very high temperature could possibly affect the taste, but chances are you drank it too early and didn't leave it long enough in the bottles to properly condition, it is then that the best flavours develop, so ideally brews should be bottled for as many weeks as possible before drinking. How much sediment you get in the bottles depends on how carefully it was syphoned over, but you will always get some, leaving the bottles to condition will also help the lager to clear and carbonate, and any sediment to properly settle and compact in the bottom of the bottles.

With the latest second batch, the problem here would be if it had become contaminated when it tipped and opened, but you would probably notice a strong unpleasant smell/taste (such as vinegar) if this had happened. You should be OK, we recommend leaving it somewhere warm for a week after priming the bottles to make sure secondary fermentation gets going, then move somewhere cooler for a few weeks to let it condition, clear and carbonate. It is likely that the bottles need to be stored for a few more weeks for the flavours to improve, as it being flat is a sure sign it is not yet ready to drink, the secondary fermentation needs more time which will make it fizzy and clear. Try leaving it for another few weeks, perhaps around 12 to 15 degrees C and it should improve

Another tip, if you made the lager with sugar, try using a brew enhancer next time instead, as this will make a good improvement on the end result, adding flavours, body and head, and improve fermentation

• Options
    So is the sediment just a case of it's come over into the bottle from the main fermenting vessel then as apposed to it actually being created in the bottle?

The second batch def does not taste like vinegar, in fact if anything the first one might of been contaminated thinking back, as that had quite a strong taste. I have moved the stock to a cooler room now as I'd read this before anyway, so it's about 10 days into secondary fermentation, so it sounds like it just needs more time. That's actually good news as it sounds like despite the accident it's come out ok. I thought brewing it a bit cooler would be better this time :)

I did use an enhancer this time, so there is another plus for this batch. 

My next challenge is a double batch.. 2 vessels.. ready for xmas lol

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2012

The sediment is just what is present in the brew and is syphoned over with the lager, you can reduce the amount of sediment by transferring to a second vessel and allowing the brew to settle again, and then bottle it from there, meaning you have allowed the sediment to settle out twice. If you get a lot of sediment out it can take longer to secondary ferment though, as the yeast in the brew is what works on the priming sugar you add and makes the brew carbonated. Just allow a little more time for it to secondary ferment and condition. Using a 'little bottler' is the easiest way to fill bottles and helps to minimise disturbing the sediment too.

The strong taste is often found in the earlier stages and means the brew needs leaving longer to condition in the bottles, it is fine to drink but is not at it's best yet. The cooler than before brewing temperature will help, and it is just a case of leaving it to condition now - the hardest bit! Using an enhancer will improve the results, and if you get the brews going now they will be nice and ready for Xmas....

• Options
    Yep I'm going to do it next week or the week after so it has 2 months to prime!

There isn't a huge amount of sediment, but a thin lining in the bottom, which probably ventured into the bottles as I managed to break the spring in the bottler, so had to do it without the section on the bottom, which I guess may catch some of the sediment lol oh well.

What is the next thing you recommend I should try? Another lager? If I'm doing 2 it would be nice to have a lager and something else....
  • Options
    Just an update, it's been like a month now since initial brewing... I think it is def improving, I've had another one last night to see what it was like and its better than it was, and a bit more gassy now.. phew bubbles remaining and an initial head when it's poured. Maybe another month and it will be perfect :) Just in time for the pre xmas session lol