Options

Irish velvet stout

kevinkevin Member Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in General Home Brew Chat
hi to all,
I have just bought my first brewing kit that is a fermentation barrel and a king keg barrel (top tap) not yet started the brew thought I would ask if anyone had brewed the Irish velvet stout and what the end results were and if they came across any pitfalls with the brew any tips would be appreciated.
cheers kevin.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Stouts are best made with enhancers if possible, it adds more body and mouth feel like you get with many stouts, but you will be pleasantly suprised by the results even just with sugar. One genuine review is copied and pasted here;

As a Dub I like to think I know about Stout. I have drank just about every one on the market. On a recent trip to Dublin i spent the afternoon in the Potterhouse where they make their own stout. This inspired me to try for myself. I was skeptical about brewing stout, i thought it wouldn't be good. I couldn't be more wrong, Irish velvet is a great pint, I used 1kg granulated sugar and followed the instructions. This stuff is really ready in about 17 days (could be quicker but i left it fermenting for 7 days). I brewed lager the week before and that's not fully clear yet, but this stuff is perfect and great head when poured. It's not as bitter as other Stout either. Only problem now is I mightn't have any of this batch left for Paddies day, so I better get another one on the go soon.

• Options
    Thanks for that I am going to get my stout on the go as soon as my other bits and pieces of equipment arrive I will post the results as soon as I get a result.
  • Options
    Let us know how you get on wont you, reviews are always appreciated!
  • Options
    hi there,
    stout in fv temp 22 constant airlock bubbling like a gooden been on the go for about two hrs just one mistake though I forgot to take an hydrometer reading will that make a big difference to the next fermentation reading ?obliged if anyone can let me know.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    A reading taken soon after will be good enough to give you a good guide to the alcohol content, if you took it as soon as you remembered it will be fairly close
  • Options