Options

strawberry cider

Russ2109Russ2109 Member Posts: 9
edited October 2012 in Welcome To The Forum

Hi I am just about to start brewing a strawberry cider has any one got any tips about pit falls that I may encounter & which is best, still or sparkling? My last project did not turn out too well ,I tried the coopers ginger beer kit but it stayed cloudy even after 6 weeks in bottles , so I got something wrong,any help would be appreciated.

Cheers again Russ

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Russ, they can take a while to clear depending on temperature, it's always worth leaving a bit longer to see if it will clear, and when filling the bottles try and ensure you leave as much sediment behind as possible as this will help too. If bottling try using a 'little bottler' as this is a really easy way of filling bottles and helps to minimise disturbance of the sediment too, it can get stirred up more if using a length of syphon tube. Whether you opt for still or sparkling is more personal prefernce, if you decide on still, it may be worth adding a little more sugar at the primary fermentation to allow for no sugar being added once you bottle it (as you wont prime the bottles if making still) to keep the alcohol content up. Once fermented in the usual way, bottle it and leave it somewhere warm for a few days, and then move it somewhere cooler to help it clear and for the flavours to improve
  • Options
    Russ2109Russ2109 Member Posts: 9

Hi thanks for the advice I have a little bottler so I will use it & I have decided to make sparkling you can't be scared of everything you brew so I am going for it

Cheers Russ.

PS I 'll drink it whatever

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Let us know how you get on wont you!