Options

first brew in the bin

2budbuck2budbuck Member Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in Welcome To The Forum
hi everyone,Yeserday afternoon, completed my first brew, woodfords admiral reserve. Just a question, how long before i see steady bubbles travelling through airlock? The lid of container now appears domed and the pressure is obviously rising. I woul also like to ask for a recommendation for a first time lager and cider brew to attempt. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

It depends on the temperature and how vigorously the brew ferments, some brews wont actually make the airlock bubble if there is not enough pressure, or if there is a slight pin hole gap anywhere for the CO2 to escape elsewhere. This is not a problem though and the brew will ferment away, the domed lid shows it is holding the vessel or just leave the airlock out as it is not necessary for the brew to be airtight at this stage, it just helps to stop any contamination. Just make sure the stem of the airlock is smooth where it pushes into the grommet and is making a good seal if you are concerned, but it is not necessary.

Many people will have different suggestions, but we think the Better Brew Export Lager is very good which comes in a pouch rather than a tin, and all the ciders are popular, you could try a John Bull or a Finlandia perhaps, or the On The Rocks range have some flavoured ciders which are excellent, Mixed Berry and Raspberry and Lime are the most popular. The lagers and ciders brew in the same way, but will need either an enhancer or sugar adding to them (usually a kg) to brew (unlike the Woodfordes kit which is a full 3kg 2 tin kit and has all the sugars needed).