Options

To add more yeast or not?

tommyctommyc Member Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in Welcome To The Forum

Hi just started my first homebrew, Finlandia lager, bought from your goodselves along with my starters kit.

i have read up a bit on your site about starting out and watched the vids on making homebrew, everyone saying to sprinkle the yeast ontop, but the finlandia instructions was to make a wort of 1-2dl  and add the yeast and leave for 15 mins, then add to the fermenter and mix.

I have done this, hopefully correctley!

Bit worried though as it was a bit "clumpy" when made up and added, it is still only the first day and no bubbles or sign of fermentation starting which i think can be 48 hours before starting? 

If fermentation does not start after 48 hours would it be ok to add more yeast, or leave another 48 hours. if fermentation does not start will i have to throw my beloved lager.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Various yeasts have different instructions, and you can do any way you prefer, often people just sprinkle it in and give it a gentle stir. The most important thing is to make sure the yeast contacts the liquid and not just any froth on the surface. If you mix the yeast in liquid and then add it this will work fine, even if it's a bit clumpy it wont affect it, so you will start to see signs of fermentation in the next day or so. If you're brewing around 18 degrees this will make it take a bit longer than if it was say 22 degrees, and the fermentation will be less vigorous. The best way to monitor the progress is to use a hydrometer in a few days which will give readings to show if it is still fermenting or has finished, and you need two constant readings a day apart with no small bubbles rising to the surface of the liquid. If there is no sign of fermentation in 24 hours time just give it a gentle stir, and consider if you have anywhere a few degrees warmer you could move it to

• Options
    Thankyou much appreciated.