Options

coopers Canadian blonde

SbHSbH Member Posts: 17
edited September 2012 in General Home Brew Chat
As the title says im brewing ccb,im brewing short at 20l and i used brew enhancer 1,Just took my 1st reading and it reads 1080 is this about right as i think its high but is it higher because i shortend it from 23l - 20l.
Cheers guys :)

Comments

• Options
    It was at 1042 last nite so is that correct after 24h :)
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    1042 would sound about right for 24 hours, the first reading sounds like it might be a rogue one as it was very high. Depending on the temperature it is probably brewing away nicely now and fermenting, so just keep monitoring it with your hydrometer until the reading is as low as it will go, and all bubbles have ceased rising to the surface from the liquid. A good temperature of around 20 to 24 degrees or so will help it too
  • Options
    cheers,not done a reading since sunday but will do one tonight and report back what i get :)
  • Options
    its now at 1030 so its getting there,smells like old beer at the moment :)
  • Options
    Ok so its been sitting at 1020 for a couple of days now which to me seem still to high,i gave it a stir on friday incase it stalled but still 1020. I brew it short to 20L and used brew enhancer 1 and my og was 1080 which was checked and double checked.Now that would make it 8% this cant be right for a coopers kit,can it ??. Gona leave it till wed as that would be 10 days in the FV then bottle it up
  • Options
    Once you have a constant reading for a few days in a row and all bubbles have stopped rising to the surface it will be time to bottle it. The readings do sound high, but both of them, so perhaps the hydrometer is reading wrong, you would expect it to be stronger when made to only 20 litres, but not as high as 8% with just 1kg of enhancer. Has the hydrometer been used on other brews and read OK? This is a possible suspect for the high readings and may be at fault here
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    It is the hydrometer that was supplied with the kit i got from your shop so it is its 1st usage really so i do hope it aint buggerd lol I will check the grav again tonight and report its readings here tho i do suspect it will be 1020  :(
  • Options
    Let us know what it reads, a hydrometer fault would be extremely rare, but the initial reading just seems too high, we may need to send you a replacement to be sure
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yep its still 1020,im on a late shift in work so it will be getting bottled tomorrow night as thats 10 days in the fv.I will do the last grav check tomorrow before i bottle it and report back :)
  • Options
    well after my kidd getting hand,foot and mouth during the week it kinda putt my bottling on hold until sat night.My grav readings have been 1020 for over a week which makes me think i might have an issue with the hydrometer. Bottled off 37 bottles with 2 coopers drops per bottle and they are now sitting in my livingroom which is roasting with having an unwell kidd lol.After a week there i will move to my garage which is heated to 18c at the moment.Cant wait to try this stuff mmmm :):)