Options

Finlandia Premium Larger & Danstar Nottingham Yeast Dilemma

kirkykirky Member Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in Beer Brewing

Hi all

My first post here as a newbie home brewer so please forgive my “newbiness”. Wish I’d got into this years ago. But heres my problem or dilemma maybe. I have just purchased Finlandia Premium Larger and took the Danstar yeast upgrade.

I’m a bit confused as to the Danstar yeasts instructions (online version). I understand that its to be rehydrated fair enough, but after that its get like science lab, well to me anyway, inoculations, attemperates, adjust temperatures by 10 degrees or temperature shock may follow, etc etc bla nada nada. Do not mix with prepared wort, wow.

Heres an image of Danstar instructions.

Confused already, so do I need a thermometer (as I have not got one yet), probably so I suppose. I’m just wondering does anyone out there care to simplify things as I don’t want to do anything stupid before I brew up. I like to keep things simple, but would love to hear from anyone who's done this and can tell me best method.

BTW this is my second brew. I was over the moon with my 1st brew, which was way better than any crap I was buying from Asda and off-licence, very pleasantly surprised, and I kept it REAL simple as per instructions and was really good beer.

Any help or do’s & donts would be most appreciated for my 2nd plunge.

Thanks

Kirky

Brew your own

Comments

• Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    edited October 2012
    Hi Kirky,

That does look very confusing. I like to keep it simple too. Personally when I use this yeast I use this method: I make sure the wort is between 18 to 23 degrees C (a stick-on thermometer is very useful and cheap). Sprinkle it straight into the vessel, give it a little stir, and leave it to it. 

I would definitely recommend getting a little stick-on thermometer. Not much that can go wrong with these yeasts and kits, apart from having your wort too cold or too hot, this could stun or kill the yeast. That and making sure everything is nice and clean.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Many people do just sprinkle the yeast in and give it a gentle stir, and it works for them. Ideally the temperature wont be too hot or cold so the yeast can get working straight away, if you add the amount of hot and cold water the beer kit instructions suggest you can be confident the temperature of the liquid will be roughly where it needs to be so you can usually add the yeast without waiting. It is a good idea to add the yeast as quickly as possible after mixing the water and ingredients to help minimise the risk of contamination, and an LCD stick on thermometer is a good quick guide to the temperature in the vessel;

http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/stick-on-thermometer

• Options
    kirkykirky Member Posts: 2

ok guys thanks for that, I am learning

Peace

Brew your own
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

There is a lot to learn, but as long as you know the basics and enjoy it, the rest is experimenting and making the brews how you want them! That's one of the great things with home brewing, it's not only cheap and enjoyable, you can customise brews very easily to alter them to your taste, keep us posted on how you get on, we always love to hear