Options

Looking to experiment with basic kit.

tomstockertomstocker Member Posts: 15
edited September 2012 in Beer Brewing
Hi I've been brewing kits for about a year, from John Bull to the ' premium ' two can kits.  I am thinking about returning to the cheaper kits but enhancing them, experimenting for a bit of fun but hoping to get good results.  I guess there are a lot of you brewers doing this, adding hops, malt etc. Can you share some of your expertise with me .  I need something to help me through the looming winter nights! Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76

We have finlandia lager kits on offer at the moment where you can choose to go with a DanStar yeast. Ive done one myself with a Better Brew Saaz Hop Finishing Pellets Tea Bag and turned out great.

I'm also thinking of trying a Youngs Harvest Scottish Heavy (I havn't done one yet and they must be good cause people usually buy 4 or 5 a time) with some East Kent Goldings and a bag of enhancer.

Last one i hopped was a Wherry with about 30 gramms of Goldings, it tasted really hoppy to start with but then mellowed out after about 2 months. Then I couldn't drink it fast enough.

• Options
    tomstockertomstocker Member Posts: 15

Thanks for your ideas marko. I've got Admirals Reserve bottled up and St Peters Ruby fermenting at the moment. 

I haven't the time or space to start boiling up a mash and starting things from scratch, but would like to add my own touches and start experimenting a bit more.

I may try brewing up a Scottish Heavy, sounds like it'll go down well as a winter ale.

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The Christmas range are designed for that winter flavour and become popular in the colder weather, but regardless of what you brew experimenting with it is an excellent idea. You can brew with enhancers or flavoured spraymalts to add extra hop character or flavours, or use loose hops or hop teabags or hop pellets to add extra flavour - all available in many different varieties for not much money. This way you can personalise your brews to your preference, and as Marko says, the Finlandia  premium Lager may make a good base to start from whilst they're £7.95 each, or any basic kit too