Options

adding yeast

stu1972stu1972 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in Welcome To The Forum
hi ya ,iv made about 10 or more good batches of larger now ,but am not sure if i have been adding the yeast correctly ,iv been sprinkling the yeast on the top then giving it a gentle stir,i read something today that just said to sprinkle over the top an only stir if you buy the liquid form of yeast,could you please tell me the correct way of doing it please many thanks

Comments

• Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    Hey Stu, if giving it a gentle stir has been working for you, I would keep doing it, more then 10 good batches seems to prove so. I always like to do the same and give it a gentle stir. It won't make any difference to the final product.
  • Options
    stu1972stu1972 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks marko,Iv just bought another
    Kit for my brothers birthday ,an I'm helping him with his first batch an we have sprinkled it on top this time so will see if it taste any different compared with mine ,thanks for your help :)
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2012
    If you sprinkle the yeast on and don't stir it, just be sure the yeast comes into contact with the liquid itself and not just any froth or foam to ensure it starts working asap. The wort is at the highest risk of becoming infected at this stage, so as soon as it's mixed try and add the yeast to get it going. The yeast will do it's work and help to minimise the risk of contamination. Some yeast recommend to mix with a cup of warm water before adding, but again many people just sprinkle it on without any problems