Options

Inadvertently created rocket fuel?

jameshjamesh Member Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in Beer Brewing
Well on day 1 I tested the SG of my first attempt at brewing and got 1.062. Tested tonight day 6 and got 1.01 so will test again tomorrow to see if it's stable. But, by my calculation (well an app that I downloaded on my phone) the current abv is 6.8%! Can this be correct? The brew is just Coopers lager supplied with the starter kit.

I did test on day 1 with the hydrometer supplied with the starter kit but then one of the kids broke it so the second reading is with a borrowed hydrometer from a friend, while I wait for the replacement to arrive.

It seems that it's the first reading that is too high, could I have done something to affect the reading, or am I just going to have a really good time and a few head aches drinking this stuff?

James

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

That does sound a bit high which could be for a couple of reasons. Coopers lager comes out around 4.5% as a rough guide as standard. The three most likely reasons for it being higher are;
    - more than 1kg of sugar added
    - less than 23 litres made in volume
    - a problem with reading the hydrometer
    Hydrometer reading could a little out for a few reasons, the first reading seems high but the second reading is what you would expect, but if you're confident the volumes of sugar and water were right then it would be safe to assume the finished lager will be around 4.5%

• Options
    jameshjamesh Member Posts: 4

I am happy with the volumes of sugar and water as the sugar came with the kit and water added was up to the 23l line on the container, so a bit idiot proof.  I have just looked at the Coopers video and noticed that when taking the first reading you should discard the first drop into the test vessel and then test the second.  I just tested the first so could this have given a high first reading?

I think it's ready for bottling so tasted a drop last night and it's good, a little bit of fizz on the tongue and does taste quite strong.  Good news is no sign that it's infected so should be enjoying it soon!

Depending on the SG readings tonight, might be bottling, whoop!

James

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited September 2012

Hi James, if you take the hydrometer reading and it remains the same then it will be about ready for bottling. The reading could be out for a few reasons, just let the brew settle for a few minutes after mixing before taking the first reading to get your gravity. The lager will be drinkable after bottled for a couple of weeks, but will not be at it's best for a few more weeks, to allow the flavours to develop and for it to be properly carbonated. Depending how carbonated you want it add between a teaspoon or heaped teaspoon per 500ml bottle, or one to two carbonation drops per 500ml bottle. Leave somewhere warm for a week, then move somewhere a bit cooler to help it clear and condition