Options

Youngs Brew Buddy Cider Bad Taste

boxingdaymassacreboxingdaymassacre Member Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in Cider Making

Hi all

Had my first cider bottled for just over two weeks and thought i would try one, very light in colour slight carbonation, but is very very dry and has a vinegar acrid taste not very cider like. Is there any way i can make it a little sweeter or will the taste become more like a cider over time ?

before bottling it read 998 on the hydrometer and definately finished fermenting as had same reading over 6 days

has it become spoiled or do i need to just give it more time ?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It is early days and will not be at it's best yet, as it is lacking carbonation this shows it is not yet ready to drink and it may still be cloudy too. The flavour will change and alter as it conditions, so leave it to improve for a few more weeks if possible. The vinegary type taste can sometimes be from the very early stages before it properly develops it's flavours, but a very strong vinegary taste can be a sign of infection. We wouldn't worry at this stage, just leave it to condition. Once sampled in a few weeks time it will probably be much nicer, but let us know how you get on. Some brews taste absolutely terrible for the first few weeks, and even get thrown away, but they can just take longer to condition, and this can be often affected by temperature too
  • Options
    Thanks I will leave it a few more weeks and let you know