Options

Question about priming suger!

jameshjamesh Member Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in Beer Brewing

Hi

This is my first post and attempt at brewing so be gentle!

I have recently purchased one of your starter kits and my first attempt (Coopers lager) is currently fermenting and all seems to be going OK. I will be bottling the lager so will use the sugar drops in the bottle as instructed.

It has, however dawned on me that there is a lot of waiting involved, so I have just purchased a Milestone Crusader kit to get the next brew going while waiting for the first one to sort it's self out in the bottles. (Also trying to get as many old beer bottles together and have purchased a bottle topper for the second brew!)

Anyway, I have read the instructions for the Milestone kit and it says when bottling, boil sugar with water and stir into the beer, then bottle. Is this the best way or can I just add sugar or drops to the bottle as in the first brew? Also can I just use normal caster sugar to prime the bottles?

Thank you in anticipation.

James<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Good idea to get a second batch brewing, this way you'll always have one ready for drinking. The way the manufacturers have recommended for mixing in the sugar doesn't have to be followed, but their method does ensure the sugar dissolves fully and quickly into the brew. You can prime the bottles with sugar or the carbonation drops instead though, and many people do this instead of boiling and mixing, etc. You can use caster sugar to prime the bottles, or ordinary granulated sugar, just ensure you leave the bottles somewhere warm for a week to help get the secondary fermentation going, then move the bottles somewhere cooler to help them clear. The longer you leave in the bottles the better it will taste and the more carbonated it will be (all the more reason for having 2 batches on the go at any one time). Depending how fizzy you want it, add either one or two drops to a 500ml bottle, or a level to heaped teaspoon per 500ml bottle
  • Options
    jameshjamesh Member Posts: 4

Thank you for your quick reply and also for your very fast and efficient service when I purchased the kits.

Cheers

James