Options

should i bottle or wait a bit longer

djslimdjslim Member Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in Beer Brewing
Hi all, on day 8 of primary fermentation hydrometer readings taken on day 7 and day 8 both the same. air lock has levelled out and no more bubbles OG was 1053 now reading 1010 on brewferms gold . sample looked a little cloudy will this clear in the bottle if bottled now?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited September 2012
    Brewferm say the readings need to get down to around 1010 so you are all good there, and as long as you can see no bubbles rising from the liquid and the reading is now definitley constant it will be ready to bottle. The clearing will not happen at this stage, so after you've primed your bottles or barrel,  leave it somewhere warm for a week to get the secondary fermentation going, then move it somewhere cool for a few weeks to allow it to mature and the proper flavours to develop. It is during this time it will clear and carbonate
  • Options
    djslimdjslim Member Posts: 2
    many thanks for that quick reply 
  • Options
    paulomillerzpaulomillerz Member Posts: 6
    Where do you find the recommended FG levels from? Is there a list somewhere on here or do you have to find out from the manufacturers?
  • Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    All the recommended FG levels for the Brewferm range are in a table in the instructions. They are all 1.010 apart for the Christmas kit witch is 1.020. We have spare intructions for most kits here, thats how we usually find out. Any you need to know we'll be happy to find out for you.
  • Options
    paulomillerzpaulomillerz Member Posts: 6
    prob a bit late now as I've bottled it but the classic coopers lager... I read somewhere else on here it was 1.08... and mine stopped at about 1.013 for 2 days so I bottled it
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    If it's gone as low as it will and the temperature is OK, then it is OK to bottle. Some brews don't always go quite as low, some go a bit lower than it says, it can be affected by the amount of sugar or water used too, as if they are varied this may affect the hydrometer reading. The brew should stop producing bubbles and no small bubbles should be rising to the surface, and the reading remain unchanged for 2 days in a row