Options

elderflower champagne

Russ2109Russ2109 Member Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in Wine Making

Hi  I am new to home wine making & I fancy the sound of Elderflower Champagne .

As I will be using a wine kit for elderflower wine , can I change it up to Champagne by just adding a Champagne yeast or are they a lot more processes I must do , any advice from experienced wine makers like yourselves would be a great help .

Thanks Russ

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited August 2012
    Elderflower wine can be made sparkling if that is how you would prefer it, but just changing the yeast will not make the difference. If you want your elderflower drink to be fizzy then it is not difficult and you can easily do it. Once fermentation is under way and it has been fermenting for a few days, the bubbles will begin to slow down, if you want the drink to be carbonated, once the bubbles are small and nearly finished, bottle the brew. Seal it into bottles and then leave it for a few weeks to condition. Please note though - you MUST use bottles capable of withstanding pressure, either glass bottles such as the 'Grolsch' style swing top bottles, or PET plastic bottles like we have - ordinary bottles cannot withstand the pressure. If however the fermentation is fully complete, what you could do is prime the bottles with some sugar, around 2 teaspoons or so per 1 litre bottle, then seal them up and allow the sugar to secondary ferment and carbonate the elderflower wine. Experiment and see how you get on!
  • Options
    Russ2109Russ2109 Member Posts: 9
    Hi thanks very much for the info I will give it a go. next batch.Russ