Options

Pressure barrel leaking through tap seal.

JohnBJohnB Member Posts: 11
edited August 2012 in Beer Brewing
I've just transferred a brew into a new HBO own brand 40pt pressure barrel and noticed it was weeping through the tap. This problem was 'solved' by a half turn on the dispense nozzle. I say 'solved' because the nozzle is now pointing at the ceiling!

Reading other postings and forums it suggests that I should have been able to tighten the tap using spanners or Stillson's and then rotating the dispense nozzle to point down. My problem is that that the outlet pipe from the barrel is smooth and circular (no surface to get a spanner on). I could only get a grip on the winged nozzle assembly.

I must be missing something but can't see the obvious. Any help please?

John

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited August 2012
    You've done the right thing, by gripping the winged parts you should be able to turn the whole tap clockwise and tighten it, and you will then notice the black rubber washer compress where it joins the barrel. It's always a good idea to check the taps before use, especially after they have been in transit. As you say this will then mean the nozzle pointing in a strange direction, but the taps are designed with this in mind. If you then grip the nozzle of the tap, and turn it clockwise it will spin round and you can stop when it points down (turning clockwise will ensure it doesn't begin to loosen it off again). The nozzle part spins independently for this reason, sometimes they can be turned by hand, other times it may need a pair of grips or similar just to help
  • Options
    JohnBJohnB Member Posts: 11