Options

Residue after cleaning bottles

garygary Member Posts: 31
edited August 2012 in General Home Brew Chat
Ive been using youngs cleaner/steriliser for sanitising my equipment for some time without any problems ,but recently bought wilkinsons own brand from there homebrew range .I always start by rinsing the bottles then brushing them out with  the cleaner in the water then let them steep in the solution for ten miuntes before rinsing them several times making sure no solution remains in or outside the bottle .Just washed some in wilkinsons cleaner and found when i came to rinse them there was a white film on the bottles so i washed them again and it still remained?.the only way i could remove this was to use a detergant the last thing iwanted to use .Ive rinsed them thougth and found there was still a few areas on the bottles ,im going to change back to the latter and give them a good soak and rinse .Just wondering what it could be ive been washing my bottles and always give them a good rinse What could it be ?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We're not sure what Wilkinsons put in their steriliser, this is something you would need to take up with them as we would just be guessing. It is important to use the right stuff especially when the bottles will contain a brew which will be consumed, there are a few available but we sell and use VWP which we find to do the job, with no problems at all.
  • Options
                     been in touch with wilkinsons and they have responded to my email swiftly.they are going to take this up with there tech fellas and will get back to me ,meanwhile i have already bought vwp and will stick with it from now on .Still couldnt get residue off bottles even with washing up liquid and decided to throw them all 46!!!!!of them [not a happy bunny]carnt risk affecting my ales .
  • Options
    Wilkos said carnt find any problems with this product and sent me a ten pound voucher .great or is it spent it on a coopers stout but dosent replace 46 bottles which i binned in case they ruined a brew .said the tech guys would give me a bell ,been some time now .Currently using vwp the best sticking with it
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We sell (and use) VWP and have never had any reported problems with it. You can get 'no rinse' steriliser too, but we know for a fact VWP works and is good, and also a little tub can last a long time and clean a lot of home brew equipment. It would be intersting to know what the problem was, but we too will stick with VWP!
  • Options
    stu1972stu1972 Member Posts: 2
    i found giving the bottles a good shake with warm water as soon as you have poured the lager out clears the bottle, an makes it much easyer later when you sterilise ,no need for scrubbing