Options

larger goes cloudy

richrich Member Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in General Home Brew Chat
Hi im new to the home brew bottled my first batch of larger and its cleared lovely but when i put it in the fridge to cool it seems to send it cloudy is there any reason why and is it still ok to drink also if i take a bottle out of the fridge and leave it to stand it clears again

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited August 2012

This is called a 'chill haze' and is a cloudiness or haze which develops when stored in a fridge or chilled. It doesn't affect all brews, and does not affect the taste, just the appearance. It is something that happens in the beer, and is due to haze-producing proteins and polyphenols (primarily from the malt) suspended in the beer. When the beer is chilled these react and clump into tiny particles which then reflect the light. These particles remain in suspension and make the beer appear hazy.

This can be reduced or go again once the beer is warmed up, or you can try leaving them undisturbed in the fridge for a few weeks which may allow the haze to settle. This is a problem which the breweries put a lot of effort into stopping, but is not possible at a home brewing level. You will find not all brews do it, but it wont affect the taste and is nothing to worry about

• Options
    richrich Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply panic over    :))