Options

milestone black pearl

garygary Member Posts: 31
edited July 2012 in General Home Brew Chat
Ive recently just bought milestone black pearl stout and and read the instructions for bottling it ,it asks you to boil 80grams of brewers sugar in250mls of water then stir this into the wort prior to bottling.I was wondering if i could just put a small amount of sugar in each bottle for carbanation rather than doing it that way,or must i stick to what they recomend ?.

Comments

• Options
    miker7301miker7301 Member Posts: 2
    I asked this question a while ago. It makes sense for consistancy between bottles to add the sugar to the fv, and then bottle as opposed to adding sugar to each bottle, plus the added hassle. But, I was advised to go about it slightly differently.
    Rack off to a secondary fv, then add your sugar solution, stir gently, and then bottle. This takes the beer off the yeast sediment so you do not upset the sediment when you stir in the sugar, and means you get the same concentration of sugar throughout the batch.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    miker7301 has a good suggestion, his way will mean you don't stir all the sediment up and end up with loads of it in the bottom of your finished bottles so is well worth it. It will do the same job if you add some to each bottle, it is a bit more messy and take a little longer to dissolve, but you should use whichever method you find easiest or prefer, as long as the bottles end up with priming sugar in then they will secondary ferment and carbonate, either way you wont go wrong
  • Options
    garygary Member Posts: 31
    Great i was just unsure wether it would be equally mixed within the wort and some bottles my not have enough or to much  ,ive been transfering my brews from the wort to a secondary vessel with a little bottler attachment for some time to lesson sediment ,find thats gives a vast improvment in the quality of the beer,think i will stick to placing the sugar in the bottles it gives me a chance to try some with enhancers as well as brewing sugar .thanks chaps .  
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited July 2012

It's best to do which you prefer and are happy with, using the second vessel and little bottler is a great way and we do that here, the amount of sediment is often reduced to practically nothing (using a yeast which compacts the sediment really well instead of the one supplied with the kit, such as the Danstar range, helps too - it forms almost a sludge which slides rather than disturbs). The solution of priming sugar should mix evenly as long as it is well dissolved and is a technique recommended in the instructions of a few kits, but your way of priming the bottles individually does have the advantage of being able to vary what you prime them with and how much - this way you can experiement and see which gives the best results. Carbonation drops are also an easy way of priming bottles without any mess, just pop one or two in each