Options

edme stout - no instuctions - help

markcollardmarkcollard Member Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in General Home Brew Chat

bought an edme stout kit but there was no instructions or yeast packet in the lid of the can. i like my brews to be strong

i am a relative beginner so can someone tell me simply what to do........im guessing 1kg of brewing sugar and around 27 pints of water

my biggest question is with the yeast....i have always bought kits so i will need to buy some.............which should i buy? and how much do i add?

anything else i have overlooked?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited July 2012
    Unfortunately we would just be guessing as we have never sold the Edme range so have no details on them. However if we were guessing we would say it probably says on the tin how many pints it makes, and if you like it particularly strong then reduce the amount of water by a few pints which will increase both the strength of the alcohol and flavour. Adding a little extra sugar will also increase the ABV but if you add too much will start to make it sweet. With yeasts try using something like the Danstar ale yeast or the Muntons Gold Premium Yeast, just sprinkle one sachet onto the brew and give it a gentle stir and that will do the trick.

If you wanted to improve the kit, instead of a kg of sugar, add some spraymalt, dark would be suitable for stout, you could do 500g of spraymalt and 500g of sugar or any other combination
  • Options
    markcollardmarkcollard Member Posts: 5
    thank you very much, that was the exact help i needed. excellent as always