Options

Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge brewing problem?

Pintof1978Pintof1978 Member Posts: 0
edited July 2012 in Beer Brewing
After many successful and tasty Cooper brews I thought I'd move on to the next level and go for a Premium kit - The 'Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge'.

I cleansed and sterilised my fementing bucket as per usual, followed the instructions on the pack and set my temp at 24 degrees - my brew was now on its way....or so I thought..

That was last Thursday..

On the Friday I had a small amount of head but nothing vigourous like the Coopers. No reaction in the airlock and no real swelling on the lid either.

On the Sunday - I saw an inch of sediment at the bottom of the vessel and decided to take a hydrometer reading - 1.014. Which I thought it had got to really quick? Next concern was the sediment, it seemed like bread dough - Thick and creamy.

I had a taste and it tasted beerish but had a harsh after taste - Not like the Coopers.

Tonight, I have taken another hydrometer reading and got another load of brownish sediment into my hydrometer vessel - Brew is now 1.010ish.

The beer smells fine but doesnt look right with all the creamy sediment - My question is: Has it become contaminated?

Please can I have some expert advice as Im ready to chuck it.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

It sounds like everything is going well with the brew, so you need to keep an eye on it and continue to monitor the hydro readings until they remain constant for 2 days in a row, as they are already below the recommended minimum of 1014 so is not far off. The temperature being at around 24 degrees which is a little warmer than Woodfordes recommended ideal, can make it ferment faster, but it is often not practically possible to achieve the ideal temperature during warm or cold weather, you just need to try and get it as close as you reasonably can. Sediment will vary from brew to brew, the Coopers range and Woodfordes use different types and the results will be different, so don't be suprised by the difference in appearance. The Danstar range which we upgrade to leaves a thick sludge of well compacted white sediment at the bottom for example, which is great because it does not stir up very easily meaning you can syphon more out of the fermenting vessel.

The smell would be unpleasant usually if it had become infected, and there is no reason to believe there is a problem so far. We recommend you carry on and check the reading, once constant bottle or keg it, and prime as directed and leave to secondary ferment and condition. The beer in it's early days could have a harsher taste to it, especially with the stronger beers which this is, as when made to 36 pints it is 5% ABV. The beer needs to the be left to secondary ferment and condition for a few weeks, the first few days somewhere warm to get the secondary fermentation going properly, then move it somewhere a bit cooler if possible for at least a couple of weeks to clear. We find the Woodfordes range much improves for being left longer before drinking if possible, and improves the flavour