Options

Warm weather, rapid fermentation

tomstockertomstocker Member Posts: 15
edited July 2012 in Beer Brewing

I've just started a brew, Woodfordes Admirals Reserve.  The fermentation has been rapid and lively overnight, no spillages though.  I know I probably would have been better off waiting for the temperature to cool a bit before I started but hey, I couldn't wait to get another brew on.

If the fermentation is over, what can I do to rescue my beer, will I need to add another batch of yeast or if the hydrometer reading is good will I be ok to go ahead with the secondary fermentation

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Although if it's warmer fermentation can be quicker and more vigorous, sometimes with lots of foam, etc, it will still take a few days. The best way to monitor the progress of the fermentation is with a hydrometer, just check it a few times in the usual way and wait for the hydro reading to go as low as it will, which should be something like what Woodfordes recommend (in the case of Admirals below 1020). Once you have a constant reading for a couple of days in a row below the 1020, it can then be bottled or kegged, and primed in the usual way