Options

Bottle Conditioning Ale

andyodellandyodell Member Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in Beer Brewing
I have used a Simply Beer (Ale) kit with some added hops.  I reached F.G and have bottled it all up.

The instructions on the packet say to leave in a warm place for 5 days, then move to a cool place for 10.  Looking online, people tend to leave in the "warm place" for a lot longer... weeks.. then move to a cool place.

Is there any benefit in this, or are following the instructions the best bet?

Like my last brew, I have put the bottles in their boxes in the warm place, so its dark too, is this ok?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The reason for the warm temperature is to get the priming sugar working and ensure secondary fermentation. The warmth helps the sugar dissolve fully and makes sure the brew is carbonated. You can leave it somewhere warmer for longer to make sure secondary fermentation starts, but moving it somewhere cooler then helps it to clear faster. What some people do is put the primed bottles on to a heater tray for a few days if it is not that warm where you are storing them, if using PET plastic bottles you will be able to feel when the pressure is building up as it will become harder to the touch and not as easy to squeeze. The best thing to do is judge it by how warm it is, if it is cooler leave for longer to get the secondary fermentation going, before moving somewhere cooler. It is usually best to store your bottles in a dark place, this is particularly important if using clear bottles, as UV can affect the taste, so popping them into a box can be a good way of doing this, and is then easier to move them somewhere cooler to condition
  • Options
    Thanks

They are in a warmish room, not sunny, but its hot out.  They are under a table in shade.  I leave them for maybe a couple more days before moving them to a colder place (the garage)
  • Options
    It will help them ferment if it is nice and warm, room temperature to mid 20 degrees wont do it any harm to get it going for a few days, then out to the garage to store should be fine
  • Options

Thanks for your guidence in this.

I tasted one yesterday which was at 10 days in the garage after being in a warmer place for just under a week.

The taste was good, and it kept a creamy head and had a good colour.  However it didnt seem carbonated enough.

10 days is a bit soon I know but I thought id give it a taste to see the progress.

Will it carbonate further now its in the cooler place or is it to late now?  I take it its too late to move it all back to the warmer room?

Thanks

• Options
    The good news is both the flavour and also the carbonation will continue to develop, the warm start just helps to get them going. 10 days is early as you say, so if it's ok now it will improve with more time. The carbonation will improve, a flat brew can often be a sign it needs conditioning further. We have out of frustration moved bottles back into a warm place to speed them up (on to a heater tray to be exact!) and it firmed the bottles up in a couple of days, then put them somewhere cooler again to improve. It did them no harm, and we often put bottles or a keg on the heater tray to kick-start secondary fermentation before moving somewhere cooler
  • Options
    My Wheat beer has been moved to the cooler place now and I gave it a taste and its not quite ready yet.  It had been there for just under 2 weeks, so probably needs longer anyway.  It was just out of interested really to taste how far along it is.

If all fails, would it be worth moving it back to the warm place for a little longer, and perhaps turning the bottles lightly to get things moving again, or is this a bad idea?

• Options
    Because it has had a week in the warmer place it should get secondary fermentation going, so now it will properly clear and condition in a cooler place. For best results for it to become fully carbonated and for the best taste, we always recommend you leave it for a good few weeks before drinking. The flavours and carbonation are usually so much better, whilst it can be drank sooner, if possible wait for 4 to 6 weeks or longer and it will be at it's best