Options

First time

dogmangunnydogmangunny Member Posts: 19
edited July 2012 in Beer Brewing
Brewing Norfolk Wherry 40 pint kit. All seemed to be going well. Started to ferment. But now been 3 weeks (4 Sunday) and still bubbling and not low enough gravity. Do I keep going or has it gone badly wrong?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    That is a while for the Wherry to be fermenting, but if it is still bubbling and the hydrometer readings are steadily going down, then this is a good sign that it is OK and the yeast is still doing its job. Fermentation times can be increased due to the temperatures brews are fermented at, so to help it speed up it is best to have it somewhere warmer and away from draughts. Just keep an eye on it and it will stop bubbling and the hydrometer readings will go as low as they will and then stay constant, it will then be ready for kegging or bottling.
  • Options
    Reading has been the same as last week. Frothed up in first 48hrs. Then bubbled a lot for a week. Then slowed down to once or twice an hour. However reading is still a couple of lines to high. I think it is because the warmth in the room is too variable. Will probably get a heat mat for my next attempt. Is it worth stirring to reinvigorate the yeast or just leave alone?
  • Options
    What is the reading you are getting from it, Woodfordes recommend below 1014 if using a hydrometer? It must also have stopped producing bubbles, so when you look into the brew you should not be able to see bubbles rising to the surface as this indicates it is still fermenting if bubbling. If the reading is still quite a bit higher than 1014 then a stir will often get the yeast going, but it will need to then stand for a couple of days to let the sediment settle again. Ideally you would brew at a constant temperature, but in reality this can be hard to achieve for many home brewers so you just have to do your best, a heater tray or Brew Belt can help with this, but if the room temperature is high to begin with it needs to be turned off to prevent it getting too warm.
  • Options
    Reading has gone down today too 1110 just at the bottom of the big black line. I think it has to be in the yellow area as you say at 1014. Still a few bubble but is getting there slowly. Leave alone or stir it up?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    There are different hydrometers but we believe that the one you are using with the big black line means it is reading 1012, the colours can be a bit confusing and there is extra information on them which can make it less clear. It is probably about ready to transfer, if using a barrel then go ahead and do it now, if using bottles give it another day or so until the reading is the same for a couple of days in a row and bottle it, prime the bottles or barrel with the recommended amount of sugar, and then wait!
  • Options
    Not sure. Hydrometer is a Stevenson Reeves Ltd. It says don't keg until black line goes under. However looking at it the reading would be as you say 1012 which is ok. There are bubbles in the top and there is gas coming from the water lock on top. Do you think I should still keg?
  • Options
    edited July 2012

You can wait until it stops bubbling, although at a low reading like this the bubbles would often be next to nothing, the advantage of transferring to a barrel is it gets the brew off the sediment which it has been on for 3 and a half weeks. A pressure barrel has a safety valve so it can't over pressurise so if you transfer too early then it should come to no harm, but if bottling it must have stopped as there is nowhere for extra pressure to go. If the bubbles are still coming, perhaps give it another day or so, then once it stops bubbling transfer to the barrel

• Options
    Thank you for help and advice. I will transfer to a pressure barrel today. Add the sugar as well. This was a birthday present but will get my future kits from yourselves. Once again thank you for your help.
  • Options
    It wont do it any harm transferring to a barrel, and you will probably be quite pleased with the Wherry, it is very popular. It ideally wants to be somewhere reasonably warm for the first few days to help the sugar dissolve and begin the secondary fermentation, and then can be moved somewhere cooler to help it clear. Whilst it will be drinkable after a couple of weeks, it will keep conditioning and improving if you can leave it for a few extra weeks to drink it at it's best. Just ensure the barrel forms an airtight seal as it must be airtight once kegged, a little lubricant such as Vaseline or similar on the thread before fitting the cap will help it seal correctly
  • Options
    I used to drink Wherry when I lived in Norfolk. That is why my wife purchased the kit. I will leave it now until my next holiday in 3 weeks.
  • Options
    chopsterchopster Member Posts: 9
    I have never left my brew sitting in the FV for more than 2 weeks and quite often it fails to reach the reccomended FG reading, the last kit I done was a St Peters ruby red & it only got down to 1019 even after a gentle stir so I kegged it with 3oz of sugar and 5 weeks later it tastes fine. The beer will continue to drop its FG reading during 2nd fermentation anyway & so long as it's in a keg it will be fine as it will just vent off as neccessary, bottling is a different kettle of fish though. If you have managed to get your brew down to 1012 you have done well & im sure it will be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks chopster. Will do that with next brew.
  • Options
    Two weeks is up tomorrow. Tempted but will stick to my original plan and draw first pint when I start my summer break. Roll on two weeks today.
  • Options
    Ok. Kegged now for 3 weeks. Will pull first pint next Wednesday night! Can't wait (but will).
  • Options
    First pints pulled off. First was a bit cloudy. Third looks better. Only concern is speed coming out of pressure barrel. Seems very slow and no pressure. Can I do anything to restart second fermentation and build pressure up? Head is not there. There is a slight fizz but nothing special. Any advice?
  • Options
    If the pressure is low and there is little head or carbonation, it may be that the secondary fermentation is still in it's early stages. As long as you primed it with sugar then sealed the lid on, it should be OK. The barrel needs to be somewhere quite warm for a while to get the secondary fermentation going properly, and then moved somewhere cooler to condition. The longer it is left, the better the carbonation and head will be, and the flavour of the beer will improve. If it is still a bit cloudy this is a sign it needs to be left for longer for the best results, as the beer will continue to clear as it conditions
  • Options
    Even after 4weeks. It is in the garage should I bring it back indoors?
  • Options
    As long as it had a bit of time somewhere a bit warmer to get it going, now it's cooler in the garage it should be OK, and the secondary fermentation and clearing should be taking place. Just make absolutely sure it's airtight too, the lid must be on tightly and ideally with a little Vaseline or similar on the thread. If you move it around you will stir any sediment up that's settled
  • Options
    Pressure all good last night. Maybe an airlock in the tap. Clear beer as well. What a difference a day makes.
  • Options
    That's great, if you draw a few pints off at once the pressure will reduce, but then will re-pressurise itself as it gets chance to build up again
  • Options
    Enjoying my first home brew Wherry. Going to try Nelsons Revenge next.