Options

Sterilisation / bottling question

stubrustubru Member Posts: 1
edited June 2012 in Beer Brewing
Was wondering if anyone can help me out with this...
Fermentation of my first ever home brew is just about complete and i'm ready to start bottling.
I sterilised a load of plastic bottles when I sterilised the Fermentation Bucket, prior to starting brewing.
My question is, will these bottles still be 'sterile' and ok to use, as they have been sitting out in the kitchen drying for ~1 week??
Sterilising them again isn't a problem, but would slow me down a bit, so just wondering if it will be necessary.
Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Sterilising is important as the biggest cause of failed brews is contamination, which is why we always recommend to wash and sterilise everything and then rinse it out with clean water. Using the same solution to clean the bottles whilst doing the vessel like you have is common practice and saves time and steriliser. If you've already sterilised them it is best to store them somewhere out of the way, perhaps boxed up to keep them clean, but as long as they should have stayed clean give them a rinse out with clean water and they will probably be fine.