Options

First time brew

SprocketSprocket Member Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in Cider Making
Hi to all I have just tasted my first lot of cider done with the
BrewBuddy Home Brew Buddy Starter Kit. I have done all as per the instructions (to the letter) just opened the first bottle and not impressed !!! What have I done wrong ?? It tasts like fizzy carbonated water with a hint of apple ?
Whats wrong with it ? any help please.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited June 2012
    This has been commented on before and has been down to how long it has been bottled. Often the full flavours take time to develop, not just with cider but also with beers and lagers, initially they can sometimes lack depth of flavour, but this usually improves by allowing the brew to condition in the bottles for a few weeks. Often manufacturers state short timescales for drinking, and whilst they are drinkable, it is far better to leave them to mature for a few weeks and really allow the flavours to develop. How long depends on the conditions and the temperature, and varies from brew to brew. Once primed with sugar and transferred into bottles the brew is secondary fermenting, which is when the carbonation takes place, and then goes on to produce the proper flavours. Brews are often drank early as people are keen to try their brew, but if not left as long as possible in the bottles they are not drank at their best. We try to leave brews in the bottles for a couple of months before drinking, by having another batch on the go, one to drink, one to condition
  • Options
    SprocketSprocket Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for reply will leave it for a while............